7 Holiday Tips from Livea’s Registered Dietitians
By Sarah Stelter, R.D., L.D.
With the holiday season in full swing, it can be difficult to manage celebrating and enjoying time with your loved ones while also achieving your weight management goals. Whether you are losing weight, or maintaining your weight loss long-term, the endless amounts of food and drinks available it can make it difficult to navigate through holiday parties and family gatherings. However, weight gain during the holidays is not unavoidable! With expert strategies in place, you can get through the holidays while maintaining your progress and enjoying the time spent with others.
Holiday Success Tips:
- Don’t skip meals! – While you may want to “save” calories for big meals, this often leads to overeating at the meal. This causes the body to store the excess calories it’s unable to use for energy as fat. Practice balanced eating leading up to the holidays including lean proteins and vegetables.
- Use smaller plates and glasses. – Food is often a mental game for many people and the idea of filling up a plate is the goal. By using smaller plates and glasses, you can trick your brain into thinking you’re eating or drinking more than you actually are. The idea of filling up the plate satisfies your brain and makes you feel like you’re enjoying every aspect of your meal.
- Slow it down. – Eating slowly is important because if gives your body time to signal your brain that it’s full. By slowing it down and giving your body the time to signal it’s full, you’re less likely to over-consume calories. This also gives you the opportunity to truly savor and enjoy the food you’re eating with the people you’re with!
- Moderation is key. – It is important to be mindful of the portions and types of foods that you’re consuming. Small portions and tastes are better than eating large, over-sized portions. Choose foods you really want to eat and are your favorites versus foods/calories you don’t truly want.
- Beverages – Be mindful of beverages, as they are an easy way for calories to sneak in around the holidays. Alcohol and high-fat/sugar drinks are very popular items, so make a point to choose beverages such as water, tea, coffee, light beer, spirits mixed with a sparkling water, diet tonic, club soda, or diet soda, or red/white wine. Also, be sure to drink water between each alcoholic drinks to slow down alcohol intake.
- Get moving! – So often during the holidays people lack the physical activity that is important to balance out the day and the food choices you might make. Getting active helps you burn some calories in anticipation of the day ahead. Many who are active and get some physical activity tend to make better food and drink choices throughout the day as well.
- Lighten it up. – Holiday dishes tend to be high in sugar, fat, and calories. Lighten up the calories by swapping out some ingredients, such as lean turkey in place of ham!
We hope these tips are helpful throughout the holiday season! Your Livea team is ready to support you throughout the holidays and beyond! If you’d like to learn more about Livea, call 1-855-GoLivea, or visit www.livea.com. Happy Holidays!