It’s the beginning of the holiday season, and we have some Thanksgiving tips and tricks to help you have a successful holiday without sacrificing your weight loss progress! We know Thanksgiving can be a daunting time for anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off. Many Thanksgiving dinner favorites, such as stuffing, pumpkin pie, and even the turkey, can be unhealthy and difficult to correctly portion. Our team of Registered Dietitians at have put together 8 “Pro Tips” to help you have a successful Thanksgiving PLUS we healthy Thanksgiving alternative recipes for you to try!
Tips from Livea’s Registered Dietitians for Managing Weight Loss at Thanksgiving:
- Use your wine glasses for sparkling water instead of wine.
- Try smaller serving sizes for your dessert, or consider a healthier, fruit-based treat!
- Bring a healthy dish to pass, or if you are hosting serve healthy dishes such as steamed vegetables instead of a vegetable casserole.
- Conduct pre-dinner conversation AWAY from the appetizers/food plates!
- Reduce the temptation for off-plan foods by purchasing takeaway containers from the Dollar Store to make take-home meals for guests.
- Visualize your plate. Make sure three quarters of your plate is protein and vegetables, and leave one quarter free for side dishes.
- Avoid “saving up” calories in anticipation of overeating. Stick to your weight loss program of eating every 2-3 hours and you’ll be less likely to overindulge on the holiday!
- If all else fails, remember that this is just one meal! Practice a two-hour “reset,” and the next time you eat make sure it’s an on-plan food! It’s always better to get back on track right away than wait until tomorrow!
Healthy Recipe Option:
Thyme and Sage Roasted Turkey
1, 12-13 lb. whole turkey, thawed
2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp. dried sage
2 Tbsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Position your oven rack in the bottom third of the oven, and preheat oven to 450° F.
2. Remove any packaging in the body and neck cavaties of the turkey. Let it sit breast-side up on a roasting rack.
3. Whisk together the olive oil, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Make a slit in the skin of the turkey, and rub mixture all over turkey meat.
4. Pour two cups of water into the roasting pan, and turn down the heat to 350° F.
5. Roast turkey for one hour uncovered. When turkey begins to turn golden brown, shield breast with foil. Continue to roast for 2 hours and 30 minutes or until minimum internal temperature reaches 165° F.
6. Transfer turkey to cutting board and tent with aluminum foil; let rest for about 15-30 minutes before carving. Measure out six ounces per serving; save any leftovers for another meal.
1 Leaner + 1 Healthy Fat + 3 Condiments
Explore other healthy recipes on our blog – and learn more about losing weight on the Medifast program here.
If you’re looking to find a weight loss program to help keep you on track as we move into the holiday season, consider Medifast! With professional one-on-one support and an easy-to-follow customized plan, Medifast has helped thousands of people like you lose the weight and keep it off. Call 1-855-RESULTS or click here to schedule a FREE consultation!