By Mary Wippler, RD, LD
The start of a new year is a great time to refresh our goals from the previous year or to make brand new ones! Often times we may start out with the best of intentions, but come mid-January our resolutions fade into the distance. Check out the list below for some great ideas on how to keep your New Year’s Resolutions going well past January!
- Choose a specific & realistic goal– make sure it can be measured (lose 10 pounds vs lose weight).
- Plan ahead – have a plan of how you will reach your goal; include the tools you will need to achieve it & the obstacles you may come across and how you will beat them!
- Make small goals within your new year’s resolution– having smaller goals within your big goal helps you to see the progress along the way, plus then you can reward yourself with non-food rewards along the way!
- Prioritize your goal – with the chaos of life it is easy to let new goals fall to the way side, if we put it on our schedule then it becomes a priority instead of just a possibility!
- Get support– whether it is just someone to talk to about your journey or someone who wants to join you in it! Having support helps hold you accountable & it is nice to be able to share your success!
- Renew your motivation– when times get tough, think back to January 1stand remember why you set the goal in the first place!
- Be patient – change takes time, we can’t expect to achieve our goals overnight; take it one step at a time, and always try to find the positives in each day!
- Don’t give up– don’t let a set-back or two be reason enough to give up on yourself, learn from the challenges & mistakes and use them as motivation to keep pushing forward!
- Always remember– Something is better than nothing, any effort towards your resolution is a step in the right direction!
There is no better time to start making a change for ourselves than the start of a new year! So write it down or tell a friend, let’s make 2020 the year we stick with our resolutions!