Celebrating Fourth of July is truly a celebration of all things summer! Midwesterners have the chance to soak up beautiful weather surrounded by family and friends, and fireworks after sundown are the cherry on top of a wonderful day. Many families choose to cook meals on the grill, which can often mean limited healthy options hidden between hamburgers and hot dogs. Plan your cook-out ahead of time this year with healthy recipes from our team of Registered Dietitians! We’ve hand-selected our favorites for a variety of delicious options.
Maple Turkey Burger Patties
Yields: 4 Servings
Per serving: 1 Leaner + 1/2 Healthy Fat + 1 Condiment
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 lb. 95-97% lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Combine all seasonings in a bowl.
2. Thoroughly mix seasonings and syrup into ground turkey by hand and form turkey mixture into patties.
3. Grill turkey patties with olive oil until cooked through and lightly browned.
Yield: 1 serving
Per serving: 1 Leanest + 2 Healthy Fats + 3 Condiments
- 2 ounces raw, peel shrimp (should yield 7oz cooked)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay® or seasoning blend of choice
- 2 tsp chili-garlic hot sauce
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper sauce
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Toss shrimp with olive oil, seasoning, and hot sauces. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Grill or saute in a skillet over medium-high heat, turning only once. Cook for 3-6 minutes depending on the size of shrimp, until opaque and cooked through.
3. Serve with lemon wedges
Tomato Caprese Salad
Per serving: 1 Lean + 3 Greens + 1 1/4 Condiments
- 4oz fresh mozzarella between 3 to 6g of fat per ounce, cubed
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup Roma or heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp fat free Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper, optional
- Place spinach greens on plate. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper, if desired and lay tomatoes over spinach.
Add mozzarella on top of tomatoes.
3. Drizzle balsamic dressing over the tomatoes and cheese. Top with fresh chopped basil.
Foil Pack Grilled Salmon with Asparagus
Yield: 1 serving
Per serving: 1 lean- 3 greens- 3 condiments
- 1 ½ cup asparagus
- 1 5 oz. salmon fillet
- 2 lemon slices
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Dill Weed
- Lay two pieces of foil on a flat surface. Place asparagus in foil and top with salmon fillet and lemon slices. Loosely wrap up the foil around the food.
- Heat grill to high, add foil packet to grill and cook until salmon is cooked through and the asparagus is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh dill weed and serve.
Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: ⅓ lean + 1 green + ½ optional snack + 1 healthy fat + 2 condiments
- 2 cups cauliflower, cooked and roughly chopped
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup Olive Oil mayonnaise
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 ½ tsp fresh dill weed
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 3 spears dill pickles, chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- Paprika for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower and eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, dill, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add pickles, celery, and mayo mixture to the cauliflower and eggs. Toss gently until all cauliflower is coated. Sprinkle with paprika to finish.
Looking for more summer recipe inspiration? Call 1-855-GoLivea or visit www.livea.com to learn more and access our library of healthy recipes!